So, it's been a couple weeks since I de-activated Facebook and I don't miss it at all. I don't miss any of the "friends" that I cut ties with, either. I actually feel I have been freed, in a sense. However, I sit here and wonder "Is it normal to not have a single friend whom I trust and can confide in?" because I don't! I have acquaintances, but I wouldn't call them "friends."
Before cancer, I would say I had a handful of friends that I could talk to, but not anymore. I have judged each friendship on how they treated me and what they did, or didn't do, while I went through treatment. Is that being judgemental? Did I expect too much of my friends? One day I answer that question with a "yes" and the next day with a "no."
I'm haunted by the "it's my own fault" syndrome on this debate in my heart and head. The debate goes a little like this, "They asked you if you needed anything and you said 'no.' They said to tell them if you needed anything and you didn't." So is their lack of support and compassion, other than positive comments on Facebook, my own fault? Then I think about the acquaintances who DID do things for me and my family while I went through treatment without being asked or told. I didn't expect them, of all people, to help me, but they did...unlike my so called "friends." So then, the other side of the debate barks back, "They (friends) shouldn't have waited for you to ask for help, they should have done something on their own."
Is this too critical?
I couldn't have said it better! I went through pretty much the same thing with so called "friends", and as a result I finally have written them off. I say the word "finally" because it had been coming for a while, but I was in denial up until being diagnosed. It's a very hurtful awakening. Not only did I experience this with friends, but had similar experiences with my own fiance. I know men deal with things differently (and considering how he was raised) I tried my best to express my expectations of him throughout this journey, yet I felt like I was not being "heard". Don't get me wrong, he has been very supportive, but as far as taking care of me...well, he needs a few lessons. :-/
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to know I'm not the only who has experienced this with friends. :)